Goodreads Books

Tina's books

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother
The Twits
The Hobbit
Insurgent
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Mark of Athena
The Son of Neptune
The Fat Boy Chronicles
Shug
Thirteen Reasons Why
Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
The False Prince
Stargirl
The Lover's Dictionary
Flipped
Point Blank


Tina's favorite books »

Monday, August 25, 2014

Where'd You Go, Bernadette

During the summer, I chose to read the book, Where'd You Go, Bernadette. This book takes place in Seattle, and is about a family of 3, Bernadette, her husband Elgie, and her daughter Bee. They are about to go on a trip to Antarctica, when Bernadette mysteriously disappears. 

Bernadette, who was once a well-known architect; famous for being one of the only females to thrive in her field, is now a stay at home mother who has take-home duty at the private school that her daughter Bee goes to. Bernadette experiences depression and anxiety, but also is antisocial. Her main friends are her daughter Bee, and an internet person with the name of "Manjula". Bernadette appears to be a little too trusting with Manjula and gives her valuable and important information about her family which later gets them into trouble.  Bernadette is an outcast to the mothers of the private school, and she knows it. She normally calls the mothers "gnats" and has an intense rivalry with a particular mother named Audrey. “I tried talking to her, but her windows were rolled up and she was pretending not to see me. You’d think she was the first lady of France, with her silk scarf flung just so and huge dark glasses.” (Semple 20). This quote is a description from Audrey's point of view, showing her distaste for Bernadette and how she perceives Bernadette's actions. Even Bernadette's own husband Elgie believes that there is something wrong with Bernadette. He writes to Dr. Kurtz stating: “Dr. Kurtz, I don’t pretend to understand what’s wrong with Bernadette. Is she depressed? Manic? Hooked on pills? Paranoid?  I don’t know what constitutes a mental breakdown. Whatever you want to call it, I think it’s fair to say my wife is in need of serious attention.” (Semple 97). The quote above shows how Elgie is worried for what Bernadette's current mental stage is. 

Over the course of the text, Bernadette seems to become more and more anxious. She begins to get weird and writes weird letters and emails. She even plans to not go on the trip to Antarctica that her daughter Bee wanted to go on. But after Elgie found out about all the emails she wrote to Manjula, he calls in people to get her help. Bernadette then disappears which then causes a huge change in Bee. Bee blamed her Father for the disappearance of Bernadette. She and her Dad still go on the cruise to Antarctica, because Bee intends to find her Mother there. Bee makes up with her dad and together they look for Bernadette. Bee finally finds her Mother and Bernadette seems a lot happier and in better condition. Bernadette is once again interested in Architecture, and her mental health has become much healthier. 

Okay now for my personal opinion! I actually quite enjoyed the book. The characters are all so very real and quirky, and I think it's just so interesting to see things from different point of views, like how Bernadette sees things, to how Audrey sees things. In the beginning of the book, I pretty much hated Audrey but in the end she turns out to be an okay character, although my favorite character will still always be Bernadette. She's so fun and her ways of thinking are so different.

The article summarizes the book and reviews what kind of character Bernadette is, and all of her attributes.



3 comments:

  1. I think this book is really different from many of the other books written for teens. A good different. I think it presents an important lesson that people should not judge others when they don't know what those people are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems a lot different from our typical mainstream books, which is nice. Like Grace said, a good different. I like the way you summed up the book in a straightforward way, without leaving me with any confusing thoughts! Moral of the story? Everyone is unique, and maybe giving them a break from what you expect them to be is a good thing.

    on a totally different note. great blog background :*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started reading this book for my elective class- Best Sellers. And I totally understand what you mean when you describe Bernadette, her thoughts, and her actions. I like the way the author decided to show the sides of every single character instead of Bee or Bernadette. This book is fantastic in its own way, because I have never read a book that showed one of the main character's books.

    ReplyDelete