Goodreads Books

Tina's books

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother
The Twits
The Hobbit
Insurgent
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Mark of Athena
The Son of Neptune
The Fat Boy Chronicles
Shug
Thirteen Reasons Why
Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
The False Prince
Stargirl
The Lover's Dictionary
Flipped
Point Blank


Tina's favorite books »

Sunday, January 25, 2015

The False Prince

Hello! It's been too long, I've missed your beautiful face. Please press it against the screen so I can pet it.

SPOILERSSSSS. Please read only if you have read the book. But if you choose to read anyway...why? You're totally gonna ruin your experience.

Sage, a young mischievous boy was bought from his orphanage by mysterious man named Bevin Conner. He and two other boys, Tobias and Roden, have been rounded up, given the task to become the role of the long presumed dead, Prince Jaron. (The whole royal family is dead now too). Each boy was different, Tobias is smart and nonathletic, Roden is straightforward but strong and burly, and Sage, a brave, clever thief. The only thing they have in common is the somewhat similar features shared with Prince Jaron. Sage senses that Conner is a bad person, but given the options of becoming a pawn of Conner's evil plots, or being murdered, he has no choice but to go along with the plan.

Together, the three boys take lessons on different subjects, sword fighting, history, manners, and horseback riding in hopes to increase their chance in becoming Prince Jaron. However, only one boy will be chosen for the crown and the other two are sentenced to death.

My favorite character in the book is Sage. He has long, shaggy light hair that often hides his eyes, and a slouchy stance. He's a unique and fun character that always surprises me with his actions.

"The saddest thing is there won't be anyone to miss us when we're gone. No family, no friends, no one waiting at home."
"It's better that way," I said. "It'll be easier for me, knowing my death doesn't add to anyone's pain."
"If you can't give anyone pain, then you can't give them joy either."

This quote shows that while he acts like he doesn't care, he's actually loyal and doesn't want to hurt anyone with his actions. Sage doesn't want to be responsible for anyone's sorrow.

Okay, but not only is he a really considerate and thoughtful boy, but what I like about him is that he is a very real character. Sage isn't some kind of glorified hero who goes into battle with a decided victory. Sage is like any kind of guy out there. He feels happiness, guilt, fear. Sage cries and smiles, he feels triumph and defeat. The fact that he's such a relatable character only makes the story so much better.
Coin rolling trick
Yeah so anyways, when all is going badly for Sage, and you're all like 'Oh no! Sage can't be killed off, he's the main character! Why is he still failinggg?'. Do not fret my dear child! Right before Conner chooses who will take the role as Prince Jaron, Sage pulls out a coin and begins to pass it between his knuckles. This is only significant because this is one of the tricks that Prince Jaron is known for thus, making Conner choose Sage to take the crown.

Yay! This is good right? Especially because at this point,
Sage reveals that he is actually Prince Jaron himself. Whatwhatwhatwhat. 

 Ms. Nielsen may I have a refund for all the energy I spent on fretting over Sage's safety and general well-being and how he was ever supposed to win this ridiculous competition when he was literally competing for his own identity, and supposedly learning how to be more like himself.

But it's kind of hard to explain how this all played out because throughout the book we are literally in Sages head, which makes this plot twist a lot more interesting and enjoyable.
I guess because I'm lazy and generous I won't spoil the ending (even though I just gave away the biggest spoiler) for all of you rebellious readers who still continued to read this post. This book is apart of a trilogy and I really hope I can read the second book soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment